SN I.48 Jetavana Sutta (Discourse Concerning the Jetavana Monastery)- DhammaWeb Suttanta Pitaka > Samyutta Nikāya > Sagāthā Vagga (01 of 11) > I. Devata-samyutta(48 of 81) > Jetavana Sutta (Discourse Concerning the Jetavana Monastery)
SN I.48 Jetavana Sutta (Discourse Concerning the Jetavana Monastery)
Jetavana Sutta (Discourse Concerning the Jetavana Monastery )
48. (The Anathapindika deva 1 said to the Bhagava:)
"This Jetavana monastery, which is constantly frequented by the community of bhikkhus, and which is the residence of the Lord of the Dhamma, is a source of joy to me".
"It is action,2 knowledge,3 concentration,4 morality,5 and virtuous living, and not lineage or wealth that make beings pure".
"Therefore the wise man, perceiving where his true interest lies, should contemplate the true nature of the five aggregates. By doing so he attains purity by realizing the Four Ariya Truths."
"All bhikkhus who have reached Nibbana are equal in that respect to Sariputta,but Siriputta excelled all of them in knowledge, in morality and in tranquality"
End of the Jetavana Sutta,
the eighth in this vagga.
1. The Anathapindika deva: The donor of the Jetavana monastery in his previous existence. See Anathapindikevada Sutta, Salayatana Vagga, Uparipannasa. Majjima Nikaya
2. action: kamma: Here, volitional action due to volition (cetana) associated with the Ariya Path of Eight Censtituents.
3. knowledge: vijja: Here, it stands for Right View and Right Thinking.
4. concentration: In the Pali text 'dhammo.' Here standing for Right effort, Right Mindfulness and Right concentration.
5. morality: Sila: Here standing for Right Speech, Right Action and Right Livelihood